The Davies

The Davies

Saturday, March 7, 2009

American Millionaire

John and I went to see Slumdog Millionaire last night. The movie was incredibly well done and told a poignant story of two people desperately trying to be together while incredible circumstances keep them apart. Although entertaining, it was more thought provoking. At the close, tears came to my eyes as I thought of the little orphaned children who live in squalor in India. This movie shows the normality of poverty and lack of freedom that exists in other parts of the world...circumstances that we know very little about. As American's most of us have a world view that everyone lives as we do. It is normal that each household has at least one and most likely two cars. That the Jones' must be kept up with, it is appropriate to spend upwards of $5 on a specialty coffee drink, and that owning a home is some kind of right have become normal attitudes in our culture.

I left the movie feeling incredibly grateful and, frankly, more than a little ashamed. How much of my life do I take for granted? A lot. What small things do I spend time and energy whining about? Plenty. What more can I do to become more charitable? Much. Here are some statistics to consider.

Nearly 80% of India lives on half a dollar a day.
http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSDEL218894

Almost half the world — over three billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day.
At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day.
http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats

In these days of economic unrest we should all consider what we can live without and what we can afford to give to those in need. Believe me, I am not standing on a soap box. I know that I have not been doing my part and that my family can and will give more. I hope you will too.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great post. I agree we don't often notice the blessings we have around us until we see something like that to remind us or until something affects our own personal families to the point we have to open our eyes to really see and be thankful for all that we have been blessed with in the past and now. We are truly blessed to live in America and have all the things that others would never take for granite. Things as simple as dishwashers, washing machines, etc. and food on the table. I agree we are truly blessed even in times when the economy seems to take over. We have more than they could ever imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, How are you doing now that you had your final surgery? You have been on my mind so much. I pray you are doing well and out of pain soon. You deserve to live pain free. A body can only go through so much. You have really been through it all. You are in my prayers. I know you are in good hands with your sweet mother and a wonderful husband. This means so much during recovery...your mind can let you heal faster. I will check back with you and see how you are doing.
    Take Care!
    Love ya,
    Aunt Bev

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard you had your surgery. How is it working out? I hope this is the end to all your pain and you can start really enjoying cute baby Stella! Let me know if you need ANYTHING at all.

    ReplyDelete

counter

Background

Followers